Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Top 10 Things I Miss About Taiwan

10. The service. I've never met nicer and more helpful people—from the hotel staff to the cab drivers. (I'll have tips soon on all that)

9. The Carpenters and Tony Orlando & Dawn. (seriously—we heard Tie a Yellow Ribbon three times during that trip in three different places and the same with The Carpenters)

8. The coffee at Tayih Landis hotel breakfast (what IS your secret, Tayih Landis?)

7. The English language lost in translation. Being a stickler for grammar and spelling... it was amusing to see signs that read things like: Interational Fair, Sliver 20% off, and Please do not seat on table.

6. Spending one-on-one time with my amazing friend, Christine. When we're home, real life gets in the way and we're lucky to fit in a playdate with the kids. Her strength and support is the only thing that got me through it.

5. The hotel gym. Everyday, when we went up and down the glass elevator, we could peek into the fitness center and see people work out. It seemed like a nice place. What did you think I'd say I exercised? Please!

4. The drastic difference between Tainan and Taipei. While I expected to fall in love with Taipei, it was actually the culture and charm of everyday life in Tainan that really moved me. Spending three days in the place where Lucy actually lived will give me plenty of stories to share with her through the years.

3. Did I mention that coffee? It was REALLY good!

2. The staff at SLC: Jessica, Rosa, Spring Peach, Mei-Chun, and the rest of the staff and volunteers who were so gracious and thoughtful.

1. Really? Did you really have to wonder what the #1 thing I miss is?



Five Things I Can Do Without

5. Mosquito bites! (I'm still scratching just thinking about it) and humidity. When you have a toddler who loves outside, the heat and bites can be unbearable. Fortunately, she is SO worth it.

4. Cab drivers in Taipei. Next time, I may consider a helmet.

3. Rain as soon as we hit the top of Taipei 101. Maybe next time the view will be clearer.

2. Being without Jeff and the boys.

1. Having to wait to go back.

No comments: